Wednesday 1 June 2016

HOW MUCH REALLY? PART 2

They sat there, sizing each other up. He was probably in his late forties, slightly pot-bellied. His face was as unremarkable as a face could get.


“So you wouldn’t mind your sister being paid for sex?” idara asked. She had to clarify that
“Not at all,”he said confidently, if not a bit proudly. He had probably had this conversation before. Maybe in a beer palour amid fellow potbellied philanderers, with their drunken logic. He went on. “I mean,  instead of doing it with her boyfriend for free, she could as well make some money out of it”. He probably saw it as an encouragement when she didn’t say anything, “ I mean, think about it. If I was a fine young man in this car and I had picked you up and used all those sweet words you girls like to hear you would probably sleep with me free of charge. I think it’s a wise investment. It’s like I’m practically giving out this money. It’s not like you will not enjoy it too.”

Her phone rang. She excused herself and picked it. It was Isoken asking if she had lost her way.and then she apologized that she would be a bit late to the mall because she had a few things to tidy up. Ahh, more time to take this man to school. She dropped the call and looked at him.
“First off, you should know that money does not add value to everything, there are certain things that lose their value when you use money as a unit of measurement.” He scoffed. She continued. “your wife, did you walk up to her and asked her how much it would cost to marry her?” he didn’t flinch. Maybe he had done that. She went for something more precious.

“Your mother. Would you like it if she was taking money from random men who stopped her on the road for sex?” his countenance darkened.
“She wouldn’t have the need to do that. I give her enough money”.
“But you do not give your sister. And you assume i need money. Are you now beginning to see how insulting it is?” She asked
“Aaaahhh. I get it now. You are rich.”his eyes dropped to the gold fish bone chain she had around her neck. “No wonder , you seem like the proud type. You have too much pride. That’s not good for a woman”.

She massaged her temple. She was talking to an idiot. Why did she even bother. “shouldn’t I be proud because I’m a woman”she laid emphasis on ‘because’.  “You know, I don’t think I should even try to explain to you why it’s demeaning to insinuate that I would have sex with you for money….”
“So will you have sex with me for free then?” He interjected “since the money bothers you so much”
“I will not. Because I am not remotely attracted to you. That’s where choice comes in. if I take your money, I would have to do whatever whether or not I want to.”
He smirked. “I think you like me. If not you wouldn't be sitting here trying to explain all these to me”
“I don’t like you. I think you are very disrespectful. I’m just using you to pass time while I wait for my friend” she said haughtily.

“Ah…you’re not serious” he burst into a fit of laughter. She couldn’t help herself, she begun to laugh too. After they  got over their laughing fit he said, “I think we started on the wrong foot”, he put out his hand for a handshake, “I’m Jide Adeleke, I’m a customs officer”.
She shook his hand “Idara  Essien, corps member, obviously” they both giggled “isn’t that much better now?”
“I like you. You are smart. Excuse my rudeness, just that if you’ve stayed here long enough you realize that most people don’t have time for frivolities. Going straight to the point is how it works. I just assumed you were the stereotype” he wasn’t that stupid after all.
“That’s just sad. So far it seems the Abuja men stereotype is that they hardly have respect for women”.
He sighed “it’s because we’ve seen that money can buy everything. They don’t need respect here. Just your money. But you’re still relatively new here. That’s why you still have such principles. It’s actually quite refreshing”. She couldn’t believe this was the same ‘ ídiot’ she was talking to a while ago. He seemed pretty lucid now. “but I fear that when you stay here for a while and see how things work you’ll change”.

“I’m pretty sure I won’t” Idara said without hesitation.
“Don’t be so certain. I’ve seen this before” there was a note of sadness in his voice when he said that. She wondered what he had seen. “let’s be friends. I like you. Don’t worry. I won’t try to sleep with you again. Just call me if you need anything”
Idara’s phone rang before she could answer. Isoken was ready. She was on her way to the mall.
“I have to go now. But thanks. And no, I’m not very comfortable being friendly with married men”
“come on. I just want to know how this plays out. I want to know how long you’ll hold out. You know what, take this fifty thousand naira and call me when you change”.
“Would you stop throwing your dirty money in my face” idara retorted a bit harshly. “I won’t change. I don’t need your money. I won’t give you my number” she got down from the car.
“I’m sorry”he shouted after her, “force of habit. I just want to be friends”.
“It’s too late for that” she said as she boarded a tricycle and left him there starring after her.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
Five months later she found herself slowly changing. But Jide’s  words were like a challenge to her. She wouldn’t play into the stereotype as he predicted.


Feel free to drop your comments and contributions.

For mobile phones,

Follow us on twitter @Frozenhuman1
Subscribe to our BBM channel at C00295B9E
Like our facebook page at www.facebook.com/FrozenHumanBlog



For laptops and tabs, simply click on the like button on the right to like our facebook page and click on @frozenhuman1 directly below the Facebook box to follow us on Twitter.


3 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm.... MONEY BUYS EVERYTHING, EVEN RESPECT. Well, in our society today, would one really blame d Guy For being that way? I guess Its a dog eat dog world

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this really happens. Then I give up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another well written piece...but I feel like the story ended a bit too soon..woulda loved to see exactly what she changed into...

    ReplyDelete